Re: Why a website for low-cost housing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 11:19:33 -0800 (PST)
And one more clarification — the name includes “sustainable” because when I
started looking for names while listening in the background to what is
happening to Australia (1/3 of the island is now singed or completely burned),
I began thinking about what our housing costs us as a culture. And how
unsustainable it is. And what climate change will mean.

In Australia one reason for the fires is that the streams have been dry for
years. The ground has been steadily drying. The soil is also changing to a new
state—no idea how this happens but it is apparently related to climate change
and drought. Vegetation that naturally stockpiled water, like succulents, are
dying out or gone. Succulents have been reintroduced around housing in the
Southwest and have proven to protect the houses. But for succulents to help,
they have to build up their water stores before the fire. Surrounded by ocean,
Australia has apparently lost ground water in large parts of the continent.
With military forces enlisted from other countries, they are literally at war.

"Sustainable" includes lower environmental foot-print housing as a practical
solution for land use. Regardless of income, many people have other goals in
life than owning impressive housing.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines