Re: affordable housing
From: Fred-List manager (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 04:39:17 -0800 (PST)
Harmony Klohr <harmony [at] klohr.com>
after restoring subject line.

 Regarding Message 6 by Katie Henry:

Katie, thanks for the thought provoking comments. In regards to
exclusionary zoning and building codes practices you mentioned, a concrete
action we can take in our own communities is to contact our city, township,
county, state, etc commissioners and request that they develop infill plans
(aka upzoning plans). For example, Portland, OR worked over the past four
years to develop such a plan, which is now in effect. Perhaps this can act
as a model for your local area? Here are links with general info, and info
about how Portland has responded to concerns and feedback:

Residential Infill Project, City of Portland
https://beta.portland.gov/rip

Portland seeks to address worries about infill housing plan with
anti-displacement push, September 4 2019
https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2019/09/portland-seeks-to-address-worries-about-infill-housing-plan-with-anti-displacement-push.html

Advocates Press Portland Leaders To Expand Affordable Housing Options In
Infill Project, January 14 2020
https://www.opb.org/news/article/portland-oregon-affordable-housing-residential-infill/

Other cities that have passed similar changes include Minneapolis, Seattle
and Austin.

Last summer the state of Oregon also passed a bill eliminating single
family only zoning in cities with populations above 25,000:

Bill to eliminate single-family zoning in Oregon neighborhoods passes final
legislative hurdle, June 30 2019
https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2019/06/bill-to-eliminate-single-family-zoning-in-oregon-neighborhoods-passes-final-legislative-hurdle.html

Oregon was the first state to pass a law of this nature, and since then
California, Minnesota and North Carolina have also taken steps to approve
increased density. Virginia is also currently considering HB 152.

Consider sending a letter or email to your local commissioners requesting
that they develop plans like the cities and states above.

Today's Topics:

>    1. Re: affordable housing (Fred-List manager)
>    2. Re: Affordable cohousing (Fred-List manager)
>    3. Re: affordable housing (Ron Ingram)
>    4. Re: Affordable cohousing (Ron Ingram)
>    5. Re: Cohousing-L Digest, Vol 192, Issue 6 (Ty Albright)
>    6. Re: affordable housing (Katie Henry)

Message: 6