Re: Affordable Housing
From: Fred-List manager (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 05:29:53 -0800 (PST)
Ty Albright <tmalbright [at] verizon.net>
after deleting quoted digest and restoring subject line.

I can tell you from experience - that most large municipalities prefer large
size housing because:  1). Greater real estate tax base - bigger homes pay
more in tax.  2). Fewer people that they must provide services to (police,
fire, water etc.) - lower cost.

This has nothing to do with intentionally being unfair - it's about
economics.

The only way for overcoming many of the challenges with building lower cost
housing in most municipalities is Federal Regulation that would prohibit
many of the zoning and regulations that prevent housing choice - and to
broaden the mortgage lending industry to be receptive to "non-traditional"
construction types (the mortgage industry is locked into the "we only loan
money on the same stuff we've been loaning on for the past 50 years -
nothing new thank you").

Ty

Ty Albright Project Management
Little Red Hen LLC