Affordable Housing
From: Jane Harper (jkharpertelus.net)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 07:59:57 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

We are starting to creating two community-based neighbourhoods in SW British
Columbia - Sea-to-Sky Corridor (Whistler) and Sunshine Coast (Sechelt).

We anticipate that 25% of our members will be downsizing.  After purchasing
a smaller, less expensive unit in our community-based neighbourhood, many
will want to put their "leftover" real estate profit  $ back into a solid
real estate investment.

To provide them with such an investment, AND to meet our goal of a
multigenerational community (with no more than 1/3 seasoned citizens), we
are considering the following ideas:

1. Create an in-house private mortgage fund from the real estate profits
(above) and/or other investors who champion cohousing, but cannot/will not
at this time become members.  The fund would be ONLY  for young professional
singles/couples and young families who cannot "quite" make the grade for a
commercial bank mortgage.
A banker-friend here says this is easy to set up and implement.

2. We also plan to set up a rent-to-own program for the rental portion of
our community (target 25%).   The members who have come from downsizing buy
their own unit and part of/all of one of the rental units.  Or we could set
up an in-house company that, upon initiation of our community-based
neighbourhood,  owns all the rental units, which over time get sold?

Anyone have experience with either of the above?  I know these are not new
ideas in the real estate world.

Janey

Message: 2