Re: Cohousing-L Digest, Vol 192, Issue 20
From: Dick Margulis (dickdmargulis.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 10:13:14 -0800 (PST)
On 1/22/2020 12:33 PM, Magali Gutierrez via Cohousing-L wrote:
I want to chime in on Sharon's comment on how comfortable the stretch can be between
people of different backgrounds.I would like to learn more about that gap.  I work
in a multicultural, multi-language environment, but everyone went to college and keeps up
with world affairs. Its New York City. How is that gap breached?  I am in the first
stages of thinking of initiating a senior cohousing community, and I have no idea how I
would approach and make feel welcome people from all walks of life.Any thoughts?

Back to first principles.

1. Here is a list of shared values that we have all worked on and agreed to.

2. If these values speak to you and you can wholeheartedly agree to them, then you are a good fit for our community.

3. Outside of these agreed values, you may have personal values that differ from my personal values. That's okay.

4. Here is a set of standards for how we communicate with one another.

5. We don't have to agree about everything so long as we act consistently with our shared values and communicate according to those standards.

6. Inevitably, conflicts will arise despite our best efforts to abide by these principles, and that is why we have a conflict resolution policy and procedure.

Am I missing anything?

Dick Margulis
http://www.rockycorner.org still has a few homes available.