Q re. Affordable Housing (Jane Harper) in Cohousing-L Digest, Vol 192, Issue 20
From: gerhardleib (gerhardleibaol.com)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 11:10:03 -0800 (PST)
In Cohousing-L Digest, Vol 192, Issue 20was a question about Affordable Housing
(Jane Harper):
"We are starting to creating two community-based neighbourhoods in SW British
Columbia...
"We anticipate that 25% of our members will be downsizing.  After purchasing a
smaller, less expensive unit in our community-based neighbourhood, many will
want to put their "leftover" real estate profit  $ back into a solid real
estate investment.
"To provide them with such an investment, AND to meet our goal of a
multigenerational community (with no more than 1/3 seasoned citizens), we are
considering the following ideas:
"1. Create an in-house private mortgage fund from the real estate profits
(above) and/or other investors who champion cohousing, but cannot/will not at
this time become members.  The fund would be ONLY  for young professional
singles/couples and young families who cannot "quite" make the grade for
acommercial bank mortgage...."
>From Gary Leib:  EcoVillage at Ithaca NY does have some apartments which are
>rented to young families or older members at lower rent.  My understanding is
>that those apartments were bought as coop units by people already living in
>prior built units.During dinner there last summer, I met one man who owned and
>was renting out at affordable level a unit in TREE, the place most recently
>built.
For info about  EcoVillage at Ithaca,  try by asking Liz Walker who is one of
the co-founders.ecovillageliz [at] gmail.com
https://ecovillageithaca.org/