Book: _Homewreckers_ [was: 1 Bedroom unit at Cornerstone
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 06:42:43 -0800 (PST)
Ron Ingram mentioned the book:
_Homewreckers_ by Aaron Glantz, Pulitzer Prize Finalist
2019 by Custom House

>From the book cover:
> How a Gang of Wall Street Kingpins, Hedge Fund Magnates, Crooked
> Banks, and Vulture Capitalists Suckered Millions Out of Their Homes
> and Demolished the American Dream
more aboout it below.

We do not tend to think of cohousing as a political issue but there
certainly are things related to affordable housing that should be
political issues that affect cohousing.

My wife suspects _Homewreckers_ covers some of the same ground as
the book she read:
13 Bankers: The Wall Street Takeover and the Next Financial Meltdown
by Simon Johnson, James Kwak
2010 by Pantheon
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7510517-13-bankers

Fred

Here is more about _Homewreckers_ and the author from
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39937633-homewreckers

 In the spirit of Evicted, Bait and Switch, and The Big Short, a
 shocking, heart-wrenching investigation into America’s housing
 crisis and the modern-day robber barons who are making a fortune off
 the backs of the disenfranchised working and middle class—among
 them, Donald Trump and his inner circle.

 Two years before the housing market collapsed in 2008, Donald Trump
 looked forward to a crash: “I sort of hope that happens because then
 people like me would go in and buy,” he said. But our future
 president wasn’t alone. While millions of Americans suffered
 financial loss, tycoons pounced to heartlessly seize thousands of
 homes—their profiteering made even easier because, as prize-winning
 investigative reporter Aaron Glantz reveals in Homewreckers, they
 often used taxpayer money—and the Obama administration’s promise
 to cover their losses.

 In Homewreckers, Glantz recounts the transformation of straightforward
 lending into a morass of slivered and combined mortgage “products”
 that could be bought and sold, accompanied by a shift in priorities
 and a loosening of regulations and laws that made it good business to
 lend money to those who wouldn’t be able to repay. Among the men who
 laughed their way to the bank: Trump cabinet members Steve Mnuchin and
 Wilbur Ross, Trump pal and confidant Tom Barrack, and billionaire
 Republican cash cow Steve Schwarzman. Homewreckers also brilliantly
 weaves together the stories of those most ravaged by the housing
 crisis. The result is an eye-opening expose of the greed that
 decimated millions and enriched a gluttonous few.

 Aaron Glantz produces journalism with impact. A two-time Peabody
 Award-winner and finalist for the Pulitzer Prize, Glantz’s work has
 sparked more than a dozen Congressional hearings, the signing of new
 laws, and criminal probes by the DEA, FBI, Pentagon and Federal Trade
 Commission. Because of his reporting, 500,000 fewer U.S. military
 veterans face long waits for disability compensation, while 100,000
 fewer veterans are prescribed highly addictive narcotics. His work has
 been featured in the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, NBC Nightly
 News, Good Morning America and the PBS NewsHour, where his work has
 been honored with an Alfred I. duPont-Columbia Award and nominated for
 two national Emmy Awards. A senior reporter at Reveal from The Center
 for Investigative Reporting and a recent JSK Fellow at Stanford
 University, Glantz’s books include "Homewreckers: How a Gang of Wall
 Street Kingpins, Hedge Fund Magnates, Crooked Banks, and Vulture
 Capitalists Suckered Millions Out of Their Homes and Demolished the
 American Dream," "How America Lost Iraq," "The War Comes Home:
 Washington’s Battle Against America’s Veterans," and "Winter
 Solider Iraq and Afghanistan: Eyewitness Accounts of the Occupations",
 which he coauthored with Iraq Veterans Against the War.