Re: Question about Guest Rooms
From: fergyb2 (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2020 08:25:46 -0800 (PST)
     At Swans Market in Oakland CA we have 20 units and 1 guest room.  It’s an
adequate but not generous size  with a queen sized bed and has a disability
accessible bathroom with shower next door which has proved very useful not only
in accommodating disabled guests but residents have sometimes used it post knee
surgery when stepping over the edge of the bathtub was a challenge at first.
The guest room is in use maybe half the time overall, more heavily around
holidays.  I think we don’t need more.  It is rarely used for other purposes
except by naughty teens (we have learned to keep it locked when teens are in
residence or even visiting as an empty guest room is too much of a temptation).
 Grandparents and other relatives and friends visiting from out of town,
friends who are being support people for residents post surgery, and guests
from other cohousing communities are the most common users although sometimes
residents who are painting or otherwise remodeling their unit have used it as
well.  One of the unexpected benefits of cohousing is the ability to stay
cheaply all over the country and sometimes the world in other cohousing
communities.  A benefit we have happily used and extended to others.  It helps
to have one resident act as guest room concierge to make sure there is a host
resident to orient guests and someone responsible for collecting fees and
making sure cleaning happens promptly.  Our rule is that no guest can stay
unless there is a resident who agrees to be their host available.  We also
found that some residents never use the guest room and others use it a lot so
we have instituted rules limiting the length of stay any one resident can sign
up for in the interest of fairness.  Good luck and happy hosting.
    Bonnie Fergusson
   Swans Market Cohousing
   Oakland, CA

Sent from my iPad