Re: Question about Guest Rooms
From: Mac Thomson (macthomsonme.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 06:53:25 -0800 (PST)
> How many units do you have?
24

> How many guest rooms do you have?
2

> How big are they?
One has a queen bed and a sleeper sofa and one has just a queen bed. There is a
shared accessible bathroom with an accessible shower that can be used by anyone
in the common house, but mostly just gets used by visitors in the guest rooms,
as there is a bathroom more conveniently located to the dining room.

> How well are they used?
They definitely get used and are a valuable resource. I would guess that we
have guests in at least one of them about 25% of the time. We have been around
for 20 years and are now in the planning phase for adding 14 more homes to our
community so we are now getting a fair number of prospective new members using
the guest rooms during their visits to explore our community.

> Do you wish you had a different # of rooms, or that they were a different
> size?
No, although it will be interesting to see if two is still enough after adding
14 more homes. My guess is that it will still be enough.

No.

> When guests aren't using them, do you reuse the space in other ways?
No.

> Anything else it would be useful to know?
We use an online Google calendar for reserving the guest rooms that works
pretty well (although people not used to Google calendars often accidentally
book the guest room reservation in their private calendar instead of the
community calendar).

We ask for a $30/night donation for guest room use for visitors not attached to
any particular family — e.g., prospective members checking out Heartwood,
visitors from other communities passing through the area, etc. For personal
guests of members, we figure that they are already paying for the guest rooms
through their HOA dues so no donation is expected, although some of these
people still make a donation.

Everyone staying in the guest rooms has a member host who helps them get
settled in and introduces them to the common house and community and also
cleans the sheets and towels after the visit. For personal guests of members,
the member is the host. For unattached guests, we have people who volunteer to
be hosts for two week periods throughout the year.

Our Membership team is responsible for welcoming prospective members, making
calendar reservations for them, and recruiting host volunteers. Our Common
House team is responsible for the guest rooms themselves, making sure they are
clean and inviting, etc.

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

"Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from acquiring the
deadening effect of a habit."
                 - W. Somerset Maugham