Affordability webchats Feb 12, 19. Conf Feb 22
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 08:24:21 -0800 (PST)
The 6 hour Online Affordable Cohousing conference is coming up
Sat Feb 22 11am-5pm CST, ( 9-3 PST, 10-4 MST,  noon-6 EST)
https://www.cohousing.org/2020-online-affordable/
Early Bird registration: $40 thru 2/14/20   Regular Registration: $55

There are two (free I think) Zoom webchats leading up to the
conference Web chat Format notes at end of this message

Upcoming WebChats:  (from https://www.cohousing.org/webchats/ )

Wednesday, Feb 12,  5pm PST, 6pm MST, 7pm CST, 8pm EST
Betsy Morris
Affordability: Building Blocks

What are the basic building blocks of affordability in cohousing? What
strategies have different communities employed to reduce costs and
bring in outside funding as they develop? What kinds of partnerships
make it possible to economically diversify and extend the range of the
movement? How can we overcome the market realities and stereotypes,
slay the myths of shortcuts and engage proven paths to true
affordability?

As we prepare for the Affordable Conference on Affordable Cohousing on
February 22, join Cohousing Coach Betsy Morris, in a re-release and
group discussion of her Cohousing Journal / Communities Magazine
article outlining the many innovative approaches that pioneering
communities adopted in the first decade of the movement. Which ones
are relevant today? Can these unique models be replicated in new
projects?

Betsy is a Cohousing California regional organizer and Global
EcoVillage Network (GEN) Ambassador, living in community in Berkeley,
California. She is part of the Cohousing Research Network and serves
on the area’s Gray Panthers board, working to learn from Tiny Home
Villages and landless peoples as we share cohousing principles.

Wednesday, Feb 19, 5pm PST, 6pm MST, 7pm CST, 8pm EST
Katie McCamant
Affordability: Lessons Learned

As the person who has worked more cohousing project budgets (and seen
them thru to completion) than perhaps anyone else in the US, Katie
will review what makes it so hard to keep projects affordable. Almost
every community starts out wanting to keep costs low and to be able to
offer more affordable options. Katie will help us understand why they
aren’t more successful in that aim. Katie is also very familiar with
the affordable housing world of subsidies and the opportunities and
limitations of that world. Katie’s goal, in all of her work, is to
help cohousing groups increase their likelihood of success by building
on the knowledge gained from the cohousing development over the last
30 years, while adapting to the needs of future communities.

Web chat Format:

The Cohousing Association of the US is teaming up with our cohousing
professionals to bring people together to talk about cohousing. Each
WebChat is a zoom call open to all. The presenter shares 15-30 minutes
on a named topic and then answers questions from participants about
the topic or other topics within the presenter’s expertise. Please
join us for the next WebChat.

Videos of most WebChats will be available after the event. Click here
to view past webchats.

All WebChats will be at the same time: 5pm Pacific, 6pm Mountain, 7pm
Central, 8pm East

All will use the zoom room at https://zoom.us/j/202941610

If you are not in North America: http://www.thetimezoneconverter.com/

Fred's note: The conf. organizers have said the conference "is not an
ideal event for large group participation".  However, I suspect a
reasonably good group event could be done with 4 computers set up in 4
accoustically seperate spaces so that 4 simultaneous breakout sessions
could be attended.  Fewer if not all four breakouts are covered.  I'm
not sure what the bandwidth requirement would be - maybe try having 4
computers on one of the webchats to check it out.  I do not know if
anyone is doing this.

Fred