Re: Cohousing Digital System
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 08:56:07 -0800 (PST)
> On Feb 10, 2020, at 10:03 AM, Chris Terbrueggen <christopher402 [at]
> gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Greetings, I would like to know if any cohousing communities are using
> internal membership software that has at least 5 contributors that are
> administering it.

I think you might have better luck finding a system that many cohousing
communities use so if you have a problem, you can contact another community.
Finding 5 people in my community who would go near overseeing any computer
based system would be impossible. I’ve tried. Some do computer work all
day—installing, fixing, programming, spam detection, etc.—so they are totally
uninterested but will confer.

To monitor a system that people are dependent on is something most people don't
want to do. I’ve not been able to find anyone who will be second chair to our
email discussion lists. It isn’t a big job but when someone’s email is hacked
or a list isn’t working, it has to be fixed quickly. Email hacks get our whole
system closed down by our ISP. With so many people working at home now, this is
crisis time.

Gather is the best I’ve seen and most predictably sustainable on their end
because it is supported by a cooperative that includes more people than work
directly on the software. And it seems fairly easy to learn so many members
could be familiar enough to troubleshoot. Or call someone at another community.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC