Re: looking for alternatives to long email conversations
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 13:16:27 -0800 (PST)
After 30+ years of trying to manage technology for people who need to
communicate with each other for courses or team work or designing a building
and everything else, my conclusion is:

These are problems that are characteristic of all forms of communications. All
of them.

> - Some members are overwhelmed at the volume

> - Conversations can provoke polarization via perhaps-unintentionally
> inflammatory statements, which aren't smoothed over as readily as with
> in-person conversations

> - Members with more free time on their hands have an outsized contribution
> that might not reflect the group's overall sentiment, yet may color the
> perception of what the "consensus" is

> - It can be very confusing to track where the conversation is if it splits
> into multiple threads
> - Members feel stressed by the pressure to keep up, and feel they can't step
> away in case their silence is equated with agreement with whatever is being
> said

The interesting thing is that these frustrations with group decision-making are
so clearly identified with email as if they were new and unique—and don’t occur
elsewhere. I suspect that it is more true that this is everyone’s first
experience of making such important decisions with a whole group while
expecting consensus. Email takes the hit but it is really the nature of the
situation that requires more attention to communications than most people have
learned to manage.

Rarely, if ever, do we have to make decisions with so many people about things
that will affect how we live in a daily basis. Usually we have a choice about
how to communicate—we can walk with our ears. Now suddenly we are involved in a
group venture and can’t. We have to navigate a lot more people and a lot more
decisions. Choices are limited.

But as another responder mentioned, it is impossible to make all the decisions
we need to make during construction if we try to do them all in meetings—can’t
happen. If the faucets don’t fit, the design team won’t have time to wait for a
meeting to say okay to the second choice. A telephone tree won’t work. Not
snail mail.

Delegating decisions to a design team, however, only works if the large group
is ready (1) to trust each other enough and (2) to understand their own needs
enough to clearly delegate what to whom. The same person everyone trusts to
deal with the bank, insurance company, and the developer may not be the same
person they want to trust with colors in the kids room. Or with heating system
decisions.

“You do it” is not delegation. The team members have to be clearly defined and
have a clear task description with parameters. Does this mean you want us to
keep in touch or you don’t want to hear from us? Can we make all the color
decisions or just ….” The clear delegation is important to clarifying
understandings with everyone on all sides.

> Most people in the group do okay with Google docs and spreadsheets, so we're
> thinking about that, as well as surveys or forums.

If you do surveys and polls — it does work best sometimes — publish the results
on a website or wherever so everyone can see them. Don’t fall into the trap of
doing interpretations or “protecting” the responders. Do the survey over if the
results are not well accepted or clear. It takes practice for everyone to
understand that this is important — we need to know what you think. In real
life, many people are never asked so they ignore the question. And it takes
even more experience to learn how to phrase the questions. That is a biggie.

I think you will also find that certain people will still need to be consulted
in a way that is unique to them. If there are one or two people who don’t hear
well or for whom English is a second language or who have never used a
computer, they will probably need a buddy who ensures that they are informed
and involved.

It would probably be interesting to do a meeting with several rounds with
people talking about what they can handle in terms of communications. And what
they need from the group. To be the person who is trying to give everyone a
chance to speak up when no one speaks up, is just as hard as getting too much
information on a topic you don’t care about.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Sociocracy: A Deeper Democracy