Re: questions re: 'Co-Living survey
From: Ruth J Hirsch (heidinysearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 15:48:12 -0700 (PDT)
Raines,
many thanks for thought full framing of these questions.
Ruth
Cantines Island
Saugerties

On Mar 8, 2020, at 6:16 AM, cohousing-l-request [at] cohousing.org wrote:

On Mar 7, 2020, at 10:19 AM, Raines Cohen <rc3-coho-L [at] raines.com
<mailto:rc3-coho-L [at] raines.com>> wrote:

?Welcome to the world of cohousing, Dwayne. Nice of you to drop into our
decades-long-established link for conversations about community.

However, I do need to call out a few things you've done (or neglected) that
don't comport with the standards for this list:

1. You never say who the "we" is - in your message or on the form. A
startup? A think tank? An established business in the space? A consultancy
serving one or more? Based where? With any background in particular
communities? We are a conversational community, and we have more
meaningful conversations when we have context for where your questions are
coming from and what overlaps.

2. Cohousing is shared neighborhoods with separate private homes, most
often in a condo homeownership model. The example you link to, and the term
"co-living" (often as a hashtag without the hyphen), are shared homes with
private or shared rooms, with shared facilities. Closer to boarding houses.
Very different in nature, and I rather suspect that any answers we provide
will be like comparing apples and oranges if you're trying to aggregate
data.

3. The form says the data will only be used for "research," but doesn't
identify what sort, who will have access to it, whether the required email
address and other Personally Identifiable Information will be linked to
human-subjects research supervision, and are slowly starting to be required
in marketing in some states and countries. If you truly want to learn from
established data about the cohousing world, please engage with the
Cohousing Research Network - part of their mission is to provide a single
shared repository of data so we all aren't answering the same basic
questions over and over again for every student working on a project.

I note that by the final page of the survey, several screens in, you ask
whether the respondent is willing to be contacted for an interview or 30-45
minute call. So it sounds like this is an intake form for market research
panels, and it might be better for folks to know that before they start
filling it out.

Nice of you to pop in, but if you want true engagement with our community
of communities, please meet us with actual dialog and conversation and
context. As it is, I can't recommend that our 5000+ East Bay Cohousing
members, or others on this list, respond.

Raines Cohen, Cohousing Coach
East Bay Cohousing / Cohousing CA
right now more focused on how to keep our communities safe and accessible
for all - see the WebChats scheduled for the next two weeks

>> On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 8:08 PM Dwayne McFarlane <dwaine18 [at] gmail.com
>> <mailto:dwaine18 [at] gmail.com>> wrote:
> Hello All,
> My team would like to interview individuals or couples that currently live
> in co-living or community themed housings - Think common.com
> <http://common.com/>. If you can
> help, please take the quick screener survey linked below.
> Thanks,
> Dwayne
> https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf-f9W_AeQFiSCHKjSr67LCpX64L7VwC5LADoFRtgr0-FD-pQ/viewform
>
> <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf-f9W_AeQFiSCHKjSr67LCpX64L7VwC5LADoFRtgr0-FD-pQ/viewform>
PS:  I have an intermittent e-mail glitch.  If you write and do not hear back
from me shortly, please call me or please re-send.  Thank you,  Ruth