Mirador Astronomy Village
From: David Oesper (davedarkskymac.com)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 15:16:07 -0700 (PDT)
I’m getting started with the process of developing an intentional community in
Arizona, New Mexico, or West Texas that will have astronomy as a primary focus.
 On account of its rural and perhaps remote location (away from city lights),
Mirador Astronomy Village is probably going to be most attractive to active and
healthy retirees.

I am currently reading Charles Durrett’s Senior Cohousing Handbook, and am
finding it to be a helpful resource.  I recently joined this Cohousing-L
discussion group mostly to listen and to learn.

Whether or not Mirador becomes a true cohousing community remains to be seen.
One important difference is that the community will be generating income from
tourists coming to learn about astronomy and experiencing a beautiful,
unpolluted night sky.  All residents of Mirador will be renting, and if so
desired, will have the opportunity to have their rent reduced by working to
support the community and its visitors. The operating authority will be a
benefit corporation or some type of cooperative where the residents have as
much say in how the community is developed and operates as a traditional
cohousing community would.

I am particularly interested in finding out more about rental cohousing
communities and rural cohousing communities, so any comments either here or off
list will be greatly appreciated.

If you have more than a passing interest in the idea of an astronomy-oriented
intentional community, I encourage you to join the moderated discussion group
I’ve created at https://groups.io/g/Dark-Sky-Communities
<https://groups.io/g/Dark-Sky-Communities>.

For more information about Mirador Astronomy Village, please visit
https://www.skythisweek.info/mirador.htm
<https://www.skythisweek.info/mirador.htm>.

Thanks much,

David Oesper