Re: Consensus Decision Making Using a Digital Platform
From: Scott Drennan (scottdpobox.com)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 12:36:23 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 11:04 AM Sharon Villines via Cohousing-L <
cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

> ... lots of good tips for managing chat...

Thanks for the tips Sharon!

Another issue yesterday was that 4 people signed on with their iphones and
> were identified as “iphone” with no video, I assume to save energy. It was
> hard for the facilitators to call on them not knowing who they were. I
> don’t know how that happens — there was no account name.

If you're using Zoom, it's possible for the host to rename people who are
signed in by phone or by app.  What we do is ask people to speak to
identify themselves, then if they're not able to change their ID
themselves, the host does it for them.  (That also ensures we know who
everyone is, although we haven't encountered zoom-bombing yet, we do take
steps to avoid it)

We also separate the role of meeting facilitator from a "Remote Participant
Host" role.  The Remote Participant Host is responsible for managing
attendee renaming, breakout rooms and other technical issues.  That lets
the facilitator focus on actually facilitating the meeting.  That's mostly
for larger meetings - for smaller working circles, we don't need a separate
role.

cheers,
Scott
---