Re: Cats - indoor outdoor or both in cohousing
From: fergyb2 (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 19:51:07 -0700 (PDT)
    At Swans Market (20 units, downtown Oakland,CA, very urban). The original
founders had no restriction on number or kind of pets.  This quickly became a
problem after move in.  Although the people  had been  meeting together for
years before move in the pets had not.  We are densely built with almost no
outdoor space.  So the first years there was a lot of territorial squabbling
and much peeing on people’s doormats.  We have only a small communal garden
space where we tried to grow both vegetables and flowers.  The garden committee
became very cranky about the amount of cat poop in the garden.  People stopped
having doormats since they were always pee soaked.  Pet issues became some of
our most contentious issues.  I would recommend no outdoor free ranging pets if
you don’t wish to spend an inordinate amount of time arguing about pet policies
for years on end.  Even indoor only pets can become problematic if they whine
continuously while their owner is away.  We had two next door neighbors who
fell out over this issue, the quarrel lasted many years and it was only
resolved after both the neighbors and dog in question died.  It’s less
stressful to decide on more restrictive policies before move in I believe.
Currently all but 1 of our cats are indoor only and the three dogs must be
“under the control of their owners” when in common spaces outdoors and no pets
allowed in the Common House (allergy issues).  It’s working now, only took 20
years to work it out. 😏
    Bonnie Fergusson
   Swans Market Cohousing
     Oakland, CA