Re: Cats - indoor outdoor or both in cohousing
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 21:14:54 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Karen — I appreciate your and everyone’s contribution to helping save birds.
And, more importantly, to find a way through this knotty problem of indoor vs.
outdoor cats. This is an issue in almost every community I have ever visited.

I believe these devices may work very well.  But birds aren’t the only
“wildlife” even in the city.  The collar people used in your community worked
well for birds but not for baby rabbits.

I live in the same community as Sharon.  In my past, I’ve owned cats.  So I’m
not against cats.   In my ignorance, my cats were indoor/outdoor cats.  I
regret that decision to this day.

When we moved into Takoma Village there were salamander-like creatures, bees,
birds, etc. all around the flower boxes I maintain outside my house. (I’m on
the 3rd floor.)    Once the cats moved in on the 3rd floor no more of any
moving creatures.  Once the cats moved out ... once again there are bumble
bees, other bees, birds that nest in those very same flower boxes I maintain …
and … Ahem! … a squirrel that eats my spring bulbs. Well...nature has its dark
side…

This year, we have a bunny rabbit that appears on the street level green from
time to time.  We have one grandfathered cat still on the premises.  My hope is
that she is too old to care about the bunny. Altho,  the bunny will probably
eat the landscaping.  Like I said … dark side …

Thank you to everyone who has weighed in on this challenge.

:-)

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Member, Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

The most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they
know and then stop.
Mark Twain