Re: Move-in During the Pandemic
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 09:54:57 -0700 (PDT)
Not sure this has relevance for the pandemic but the one totally unexpected
thing when our 43 units started moving in over a period of 3-4 months was the
pile of cardboard boxes to be recycled. I just hadn’t thought of it. You might
have to remind people about distancing in the traffic jam of people carrying
multiple flattened boxes.

I unpack as I please, some boxes still packed at 1-2 years, but it seems most
people like to unpack as soon as possible. With 43 units, with a conservative
average of 15 boxes, its 675 boxes piling up over 2-3 months. You might want to
get an extra pickup, especially if it is raining.

The 15 boxes is conservative because many of our residents were relatively
young without decades of treasurers, not fashionistas who had wardrobes, and
few multi-person households. Add multipliers if you have any of those.

I can’t think of any other situation where so many people are moving in all at
once. College dorms but they don’t usually have boxes to recycle.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC