questions about time banks
From: Sean Davey (seansonoracohousing.com)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 08:07:32 -0700 (PDT)
hi all,

a community that I host a website for (for more info see
https://cohousing.site) recently requested a new module for managing their time
bank. A time bank is record of when one community member does some task for
another member. The provider doing the task earns a credit of the number of
hours needed to perform the task, the recipient gets a debit of the same number
of hours. Performing tasks builds up a balance that can be used in trade for
tasks provided by other people.

As soon as I was done writing the code, I received a similar request from
another community. So I was wondering if there are other communities out there
who also have a similar system.

I've long been interested in something like a time bank because the focus is on
time instead of other factors like skill level or experience. In the early days
of our community and over the years we've had discussions about paying
community members for doing certain things and part of those discussions is
about how much a person's time is worth in dollars. I never liked those
discussions and much prefer the idea that we're all happy to share our
expertise with each other. I like the idea that the time we have to give is the
same for all of us. (I realize this isn't totally true, some of us have more
time to give than others, e.g. retired members vs. employed members). I imagine
many communities embrace this idea somewhat by requiring a set number of hours
work per month from each member.

Does your community use something like a time bank between members? If so, how
well does it work? I'd also be interested in hearing about other types of
non-monetary based work systems. And also if you think your community could
benefit from software to help manage those systems.

best,
  Sean