Re-inhabiting the common house
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 18:59:10 -0700 (PDT)

BC— Before Covid— the RoseWind common house was well used. A typical week might
have a cooked meal on Monday, local choral “Songlines” rehearsal Tuesday
evening, an art class Wednesday evening. Monthly events were English Country
Dancing, Fusion (improvisational partner dancing), several committee meetings,
a Saturday morning potluck brunch, another Saturday a business meeting followed
by a work party then snacks. From time to time house concerts, fundraisers,
political slide shows and meetings, movie nights, parties, discussion circles.
A small rec room was used for ping pong and foosball. People came into the CH
for mail, consulting the calendar/bulletin boards, bathrooms, wifi. Hang-out
conversations on the porch.
\
The front-door keypad locked up overnight.

Now all events are cancelled, as are in-person meetings. The door is locked,
and visits are little more than mail pickup.

We’ve taken stay-home, masks, etc very seriously for about 6 weeks now. Our
town of 9000 has had no new case for a month. When and how will we once again
enjoy our common house? Will we need to fear infection from every doorknob and
light switch? Will we be able to welcome non-members, again, to events? Do we
wait till some eventual sense of all-clear? Or tiptoe back in, armed with
disinfectant and caution?

What are other groups’ thoughts on this?

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, 30+ years in, Port Townsend WA