Re: Low-cost Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 21:21:38 -0700 (PDT)
> On May 4, 2020, at 9:18 PM, Grace Kim <grace [at] schemataworkshop.com> wrote:

>  I understand that people want to spend far less than 30%, but if that's the
> measure/value. Its hard to have any other priority remain in light of that.

There isn’t housing available for large numbers of people that only requires
30% of their income. Increasingly the norm is closer to 50% in the lower income
levels.

> In WA state, we build affordable housing (for low/moderate income households)
> to high sustainability standards.

How much do the units cost?

HUD’s definitions for a family of 4: “Very low-income" is defined as 50 percent
of the median family income for the area, subject to specified adjustments for
areas with unusually high or low incomes; "low-income" is defined as 80 percent
of the median family income for the area, subject to adjustments for areas with
unusually high or low incomes or housing costs;
https://www.huduser.gov/portal/datasets/il/fmr98/sect8.html

Pew Research Center’s Income Class Calculator as of 2016:
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/09/06/are-you-in-the-american-middle-class/

The median per-capita income nation-wide was $31,099 in 2016. For a single
person to buy a house with a downpayment of $5,000, the house has to cost
~$100,000 (in round numbers).

Is there any cohousing community building units at that price?

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines
http://sustainablecohousing.org
sustainablecohousing [at] groups.io
To subscribe:
sustainablecohousing+subscribe [at] groups.io