Re: Chickens and chicken coops
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 08:40:38 -0700 (PDT)
We have a chicken club at Mosaic Commons in rural (or exurban) Berlin, MA.

It seems to run pretty well.
Problems we run into:
--a few people really want us to not have roosters.
--there was a time they were getting out all the time.
--dogs love to catch/eat chickens
--there was a phase that a bunch of people left the club leaving lots of
work and cost for the remaining members.
--disagreement as to whether old chickens should be eaten or retired. (Yes
there are retirement locations for old chickens, where ours now go.)

I'll note that we have chickens for eggs. When the team has extras they
sell them for $5 a dozen, which is about their cost.

Chickens for meat would be a huge operation. They are eaten at 8-12 weeks
old, you'd need roosters and hens so as to have chicks regularly. We have
about 30 chickens and they take up a large space (becuase we treat them
lovingly) and 30 chickens to eat would provide everyone in our community 1
chicken--which is enough food for, I don't know a week? I can't even
imagine the size operation you'd need to keep a community of 30 people in
chicken for a year.

Liz