Re: What do we mean when we say "like-minded"? (Sharon Villines)
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 10:43:48 -0700 (PDT)
> On May 9, 2020, at 11:44 AM, Jane Harper <jkharper [at] telus.net> wrote:
>
> What about using the term "shared intention”?

Which word is used in terms of meaning will vary according to the connotations.
“Like-minded” became a racist code word at least in some areas. The list of
synonyms below has words that in certain contexts have negative meanings.
“Scheme", for example.

aim
purpose
intent
objective
object
goal
target
end
design
plan
scheme
resolve
resolution
determination
wish
desire
ambition
idea
dream
aspiration
hope

In a basic way, “intention” suggests forward movement. Racist goals are usually
backward looking. “Like-minded” was also a phrase that was used to check for or
affirm a subtle racism that was hard to pin down. It could feel more benign
than it was. “Well, this is just what we are used to.” “This is the way God
meant it to be."

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines
http://sustainablecohousing.org
sustainablecohousing [at] groups.io
To subscribe:
sustainablecohousing+subscribe [at] groups.io