Re: Setting up an on-site "store" for COVID-related necessities
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 08:03:44 -0700 (PDT)
> On May 16, 2020, at 7:49 AM, Sarah L. Bingham <ms.essellebee [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:

> Is anybody else out there trying this?
>
> Here at Durham (NC) Central Park CoHousing Community (DCPCC) we are launching
> an experiment in cooperative, ad hoc bulk-buying (as permitted) of some of
> the Pandemic Necessities (TP, sanitizing wipes, etc.).  We will store them in
> a designated area, and they will be available there for members to buy on an
> as-needed basis.

We have people who buy things — Herb goes to the Coop and Farmer’s Market once
a week. He asks people for their lists. The good thing about the Coop is each
person can order online and pay individually. Each order is packed. Herb picks
up on Saturday. Favorite pizza will do the same—no delivery.

Other people run errands as well. “I need ___ from CVS. Is anyone going out?”
We have a person who walks her 10,000 steps each day so she can circle around
to shops and the post office.

We’ve ordered a few things bulk and the picker upper delivers to our door. The
CH is closed down except for the laundry room and mailbox area.

A number of us order vegetables and eggs from CSA’s and Hungry Harvest.

And people are borrowing many different kinds of things and more often than
usual. We often have requests for an egg or 1/2 cup of milk, etc. The requests
in the last few months include T-pins; calligraphy paper, brush, pen, and ink
for “an unexpected interest in calligraphy; rubber cement (for bicycle
tire-real rubber), 1.5 cups of rice (long grain preferred), 1/2” wooden dowel,
tape cassette player, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, a clean edge tool for painting a
room, a paint sprayer, carpet shampooer, fabric to make a mask (cotton sheets
or pillow cases), pencil sharpener, a copy of Lord of the Rings (libraries are
closed), 8.5 x11 manila envelope, postage for a 7.5” padded envelope, kitty
carrier to pick up an adopted cat, zinc lozenges, Pepto-bismol, actual curry
leaves, and a reacher tool.

Thats in the last 2 months. To collect those I searched the message archives at
Groups.io for “does anyone have.” If I had done a closer search, I would have
found more.

The online game of Pandemic Pictionary is going well. A group movie is planned
for Friday — everyone watches at the same time and chats. Exercise on the green
has expanded to more times a week. QuaranSing on Friday at 6:30. Book group has
gone to Netflix documentaries — watch and chat. Zoom singing of Happy Birthday
to kids. Lots of video and joke sharing from Facebook, etc.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC