Re: Attracting younger families
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 10:50:51 -0700 (PDT)
>     Our group found some success with recruiting households before they have
> kids, including ours. Pre-kids we were able to form strong relationships,
> dive in with energy and time, and establish the routine of meeting schedules.
> Post-kid, we were able to carry that momentum forward as we had already
> established a foundation (and both our family and the group had 9-months to
> plan for changes in child care and energy levels).

We had at least 6 households that moved in and immediately began adoption and
pregnancy plans. Another who had just adopted 3. So within a year or two we had
a host of children from birth to age 9. And they kept coming. There was
actually a day when my neighbor and I watched a household with 3 children look
at one of the larger units and hoped they didn’t move in. 20+ kids was enough.

Then we had a dry period as they grew up or moved. And now we have a new
generation of just born babies.

Five of the originals were single parents by choice who were attracted to
cohousing because they thought it would be the best place for them to raise a
child and to be approved for adoption. (The adoption agencies loved us) So if
you can find a contact at a Single Mothers By Choice meeting or singles waiting
to adopt it might be a good source.

The result for us included Vietnamese American, Yugoslavian, and east Indian
children.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines