Re: Building modifications
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 11:46:57 -0700 (PDT)
> On May 19, 2020, at 12:11 PM, Carolyn Dyer <cdyer1621 [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Here at Prairie Hill Cohousing in Iowa City, folks are beginning to propose
> modifications  or extensions of their homes.

Is this after move in? I read your site but it isn’t clear exactly where you
are in building.

If you read the archives you will find that interior modifications (except
perhaps leaving something out or unfinished) will both extend the time for
construction and the cost for everyone. Building 35 unique units vs building 35
that are all similar except in size or number of bathrooms means all your cost
savings will be gone. Literally gone. Construction will take longer because
workers and supervisors will have to double check plans while building, stock a
greater variety of materials, and tear things out and redo them because no one
looks at the plans.

Tell people to renovate after everyone is moved in. No delays.

Exterior modifications will probably bring all those same problems plus more.
They will require extra construction plans and possibly re-permitting. Down the
line it increases maintenance and repair costs for those extensions or
elaborations. Those units will use more common space than other units and
possibly do things like block sunlight to other units. Should that unit pay
more for roof replacement or painting if it is extended another 10 feet?

One of the things that I learned after living in cohousing is why standard
condos are standard. All similar units can be proportionately priced and condo
fees and repair costs divided equivalently.

Unfair apportioning has a different effect on households with budget issues
over $15 and households that laugh about even bothering with a $15 disparity.
Having a clear formula that is as accurate as possible is the only way to avoid
obvious fee imbalances.

The disparities in features and the size of the condo fees will also affect
unit prices forever.

It is much, much easier to make all the units identical. Or to have 2-3 sizes,
all with equivalent Limited Common Elements. Then differences in resale prices
are more likely to be the result of interior upgrades.

In DC the costs of maintaining LCEs are supposed to be charged to unit owners.
I’ve been working on a way to do this equitably since about 2004 — over 15
years. I have a lot of research and have learned a lot. I have 3 possible
alternatives and no agreement on any of them. The default is always do nothing
so that is where we are—still.

The community has to get permission to spend common funds on replacing or
maintaining LCEs each time. Each time we agree that these funds can be spent
but we have to have an alternative before anything else is done. We have a wide
range of LCEs. Balconies of unfinished wood vs iron fencing and unfinished
wood. No balcony vs 3 balconies and a front wrap-around porch. An open backyard
that floods or a dry fenced back yard large enough for a small garden. All
these “little" things can build up resentments.

I have looked and looked for some guidance on a logical and ethical way to
charge the monthly condo fees. Since each unit has 1 front door, should they
pay equally for front door painting ($50 each), or follow the formula on which
condo fees are based. Should the 5 units with fireplaces pay extra for gas? How
much?

Please take this seriously and don’t try to exercise your
but-cohousing-is-different-muscles. The most important thing is to get built as
economically and quickly as possible with simple, solid construction.

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines
http://sustainablecohousing.org
sustainablecohousing [at] groups.io
To subscribe:
sustainablecohousing+subscribe [at] groups.io