Re: [Event] :: Village Building Convergence 2020: 5/29 - 6/7
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 16:26:21 -0700 (PDT)
Thank you, Neil for posting this link to the Village Building Convergence.

All — I took part in the Participatory Place Design workshop that Neil just
emailed about.  If you went on the bus tours at the CohoUS national conference
last year in Portland you will remember many of these characteristics of
“re-villaging”  or placemaking — the art around the city, the in-fill
developments for cohousing and other small developments, pushing the envelope
of zoning and building regulations.  It was excellently presented.  The two
hour session sponsored by Foundation for Intentional Community (FIC) flew by.

The part that I was interested in was the “guerrilla” marketing Mark Lakeman’s
cohorts did to get the ball rolling. They just created stuff. And as Mark said:
 Stared down the opposition.  I think it helps a lot that Portland is a pretty
liberal municipality.  Still, it does take fortitude.  Maybe we should all work
on our stares …

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Member, Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

The most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they
know and then stop.
Mark Twain