Re: Astronomy Interest?
From: David Oesper (davedarkskymac.com)
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 12:20:41 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks, Sharon, and to the others who responded.  Even at this early stage, we
have heard from three groups of people expressing an interest in living in an
astronomy-friendly community.

(1) RVers who want to use Mirador Astronomy Village as a “home base” and RV
vacationers who would like to visit
(2) Folks like me who would like to live in a fairly traditional house but in a
cohousing community
(3) Folks who have very modest financial means and would like to live in an
affordable apartment in a multi-unit building

I would like to accommodate all of these people in our astronomy community.  I
have known many talented amateur astronomers and educators over the years that
would never be able to afford to buy land and build a house on it, or purchase
a $300K to $400K+ home, or have two residences (one in “civilization” and one
where the night sky is pristine) that they travel back and forth between.  I am
one of them.

Four unique features of our concept for Mirador Astronomy Village are

(1) Everyone living there rents
(2) A substantial initial investment is not required to live there
(3) The community earns income through tourism and educational programs, and
this would be used to maintain the community and reduce the cost to live there
(4) Modular construction would be used as much as possible to keep construction
costs down.

Ideally, a “grand plan” for the community will be developed and the community
will be built all at once.  I like to think that if people like Michael
Bloomberg can spend over $900 million dollars on his failed four-month
presidential bid, there must be someone out there who both understands our
vision and has the money to make something truly unique and wonderful a reality
for just a few million dollars.

Of course, that probably will not happen.  Therefore, we will probably need to
build the community in stages, with each stage helping to fund subsequent
stages.  Once we have acquired a site in New Mexico, Arizona, or West Texas, we
would first build the RV park.  The sooner our land can start producing income,
the better.

There is so much more to say, but this is the gist.

Thanks,

David Oesper
https://miradorastrovillage.org/ <https://miradorastrovillage.org/>

> On May 21, 2020, at 7:37 PM, David Oesper via Cohousing-L <cohousing-l [at]
> cohousing.org> wrote:

> I am a lifelong amateur astronomer with a passion for the night sky and
> sharing it with others.  I am near enough to retirement that I recently was
> able to cut back to 3/4 time at work so I can devote 1/4+ time to developing
> an astronomy-friendly cohousing/intentional community.  I’ve been developing
> this concept for years, but finally am able to devote a significant amount of
> time to the project.  I would welcome your input.

David, say more about your concept of building the community using RVs, mobile
homes, etc.

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines