Call for Articles: Communities #189: Isolation and Connection; Community in the Age of Coronavirus
From: Chris Roth - Communities Editor (editorgen-us.net)
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 04:50:53 -0700 (PDT)
[Communities #187 cover]

Dear Communities contributors and friends,

First, a couple updates: we're still accepting submissions for issue #188,
"Scaling Up/Scaling Down" (see our
[submissions](https://www.gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI5Mjc5IiwiNmh0aG4weGEwZ2Nvc3dvb3drY29nc3NjYzB3ODhvMGMiLCIyNiIsIjFlN2EzYTc4NDg5MiIsZmFsc2Vd)
 page for more info). And today we are submitting issue #187, "Climate Justice
through Community," to the printer. Those who
[subscribe](https://www.gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI5Mjc5IiwiNmh0aG4weGEwZ2Nvc3dvb3drY29nc3NjYzB3ODhvMGMiLCIyNiIsImI0MjYyYTQ1MzVjOCIsZmFsc2Vd)
 within the next several days will be able to receive the new issue directly
from the printer when it is shipped in the first part of June. For a preview of
the contents of this issue, please scroll to the bottom of this email. We hope
you'll sign up to receive it if you aren't already on our subscriber list. And:

Communities #189 Call for Articles

Communities magazine is now seeking articles for issue #189, "Isolation and
Connection; Community in the Age of Coronavirus." The issue will be out in
December 2020.

Please send your article ideas to [editor [at]
gen-us.net](https://www.gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI5Mjc5IiwiNmh0aG4weGEwZ2Nvc3dvb3drY29nc3NjYzB3ODhvMGMiLCIyNiIsImM3NWNjMjE5ZjhmZSIsZmFsc2Vd)
 by Friday, June 26, 2020, or whenever you can.

We ask that your final article reach us by Friday, August 28, 2020.

1. Theme articles: Isolation and Connection; Community in the Age of Coronavirus

Please share your experiences, stories, and perspectives in response to any (or
any combination) of the following questions:

- How have feelings of isolation and/or connection guided you toward community?
- How have you experienced isolation and/or connection within a life in
community?
- What experiences have impacted your feelings of isolation and/or connection?
- How has the COVID-19 pandemic altered your life and that of your community or
social circle? In what ways has it led to isolation, and in what ways to
connection?
- How have you and your group adapted to the restrictions and opportunities
offered by this pandemic, or by other life-changing events that may have
affected you? How have you felt "at effect" of these, and what steps have you
taken?
- What guidelines have you developed in response to COVID-19? What was the
process around developing those guidelines? How has the pandemic affected your
socializing, food-sharing, economic activities, jobs, meetings, overall
culture? What has your group learned about itself? In what ways has the
pandemic brought you together, and in what ways split you apart?
- What does "community" mean in the Age of Coronavirus? How are intentional
communities now relevant? How can they best function? What do they have to
offer? What allied forms of community may flourish in these new times?
- What lessons about isolation, connection, and/or adaptation to this pandemic
have you learned? What would you and/or your group like to share with others?

Please remember that we are looking for stories, personal experiences, and
concrete examples in your responses—these are what will make ideas and
observations most "real" and relevant to readers.

[Please forward this email to anyone you think has a good story on this theme
for Communities.]

2. We are also seeking articles about:

- Creating community in your neighborhood;
- Starting a new community;
- Process and communication issues in community;
- Ecological sustainability in community;
- Social justice issues in community;
- Networking to build the communities/ecovillages movement; and
- Seeking community to join.

Suggested submission length is from 300 to 2500 words (although we sometimes
stretch these limits). We invite submissions ranging from short vignettes to
extensively-developed articles, and also invite suggestions of recommended
resources and article leads. We're seeking articles written in a
reader-friendly, popular-magazine style, rather than in an academic style. We
ask contributors to share stories and experiences, not just ideas; write about
challenges, not just successes; and describe specific situations that will help
your story come alive for the reader. Before you start writing, please check
[gen-us.net/submissions-to-communities-magazine](https://www.gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI5Mjc5IiwiNmh0aG4weGEwZ2Nvc3dvb3drY29nc3NjYzB3ODhvMGMiLCIyNiIsImI3NTIzOWRhNDFhNyIsZmFsc2Vd)
 or contact us for our full Writers' Guidelines--and let us know your article
idea so that we can give feedback on how it may fit into Communities. Contact
Chris Roth at [editor [at]
gen-us.net](https://www.gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI5Mjc5IiwiNmh0aG4weGEwZ2Nvc3dvb3drY29nc3NjYzB3ODhvMGMiLCIyNiIsImM3NWNjMjE5ZjhmZSIsZmFsc2Vd).

If you don’t want to write an article but want to submit photos, please check
[gen-us.net/submissions-to-communities-magazine](https://www.gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI5Mjc5IiwiNmh0aG4weGEwZ2Nvc3dvb3drY29nc3NjYzB3ODhvMGMiLCIyNiIsImI3NTIzOWRhNDFhNyIsZmFsc2Vd)
 or contact Yulia Zarubina at [layout [at]
gen-us.net](https://www.gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI5Mjc5IiwiNmh0aG4weGEwZ2Nvc3dvb3drY29nc3NjYzB3ODhvMGMiLCIyNiIsImIxYmI2ODQ0MzA3YiIsZmFsc2Vd)
 for our Photo Guidelines.

I. What "Submitting an Article" Means. We will promise to read your article,
but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it, or save it and publish
it in a future issue. We also reserve the right to edit, shorten, or revise
your article. We always attempt to contact authors about this ahead of time and
get their comments, corrections, etc.

II. Getting Permission Ahead of Time. Please send the article only when you
have permission from anyone you need it from, such as fellow community members.
We endeavor to present a diversity of views on community, including
controversial or critical views, in a respectful and cooperative manner. If
your article may generate controversy or strong reactions, or if the group(s)
would want the chance to review it, please share your draft with group members
to get their input before sending it to us. (Please see our Writers' Guidelines
for additional details.)

III. Publication Rights. Once your article appears in Communities, we own first
North American Publishing Rights. This means your article appears in
Communities the first time it appears in North America. In addition to
appearing in Communities, your article may also appear on our website or in
future compilations. You retain all other rights to it. If you'd like to use it
elsewhere, you can, and we would appreciate your using an attribution line
saying, "This article first appeared in Communities: Life in Cooperative
Culture, (date); for further information on Communities:
[gen-us.net/communities](https://www.gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI5Mjc5IiwiNmh0aG4weGEwZ2Nvc3dvb3drY29nc3NjYzB3ODhvMGMiLCIyNiIsIjVlNDYwYTk4OWQ2NCIsZmFsc2Vd)."

IV. Photos. If we publish your article, we want to accompany it with compelling
images that illustrate your subject. You know your subject best, so we are
appealing to you for images. If others in your community or group like taking
pictures, they might already have great images to go with your article. If you
would like to submit an article but cannot supply photos, that's fine; however,
please give us plenty of advance notice so that if we use your article we can
get an illustrator. Please check
[gen-us.net/submissions-to-communities-magazine](https://www.gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI5Mjc5IiwiNmh0aG4weGEwZ2Nvc3dvb3drY29nc3NjYzB3ODhvMGMiLCIyNiIsImI3NTIzOWRhNDFhNyIsZmFsc2Vd)
 or email us for our full Photo Guidelines. You may also choose to send us an
author photo to accompany your short (several-line) author bio.

Thanks for your contributions!

Chris Roth
Editor, Communities
[editor [at]
gen-us.net](https://www.gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI5Mjc5IiwiNmh0aG4weGEwZ2Nvc3dvb3drY29nc3NjYzB3ODhvMGMiLCIyNiIsImM3NWNjMjE5ZjhmZSIsZmFsc2Vd)

Coming Soon...

Issue #187 ● Summer 2020 ● Climate Justice through Community

Letters; News from Our Partners
Readers reflect on issue #186; Paul Freundlich shares the latest Notes in
Passing, “CERES, For a Living Planet.”

Transition Times on Planet Earth
Chris Roth
This magazine, our personal and collective lives, and the climate are all
changing. Fortunately, we’re in this together.

Modeling Urban Homesteading for Climate Resilience in Portland, Oregon
Rachel Freifelder
Blueberry’s mission is to model a way of living on this land, in this
bioregion, and in this city, that keeps our footprint small and our own
survival more likely.

On the Road to a Solar Future
Debbie Piesen
The challenge of a sustainable future lies not in the technology itself, but in
finding the willingness to use it. Living Energy Farm’s innovative solar
installations are welcomed on the Navajo and Hopi Reservations.

Kinship and Climate Justice
Hilary Giovale
The Paradigm of Colonial Control is at the root of climate change. It also
marginalizes Indigenous communities and communities of Color, who can offer us
much-needed solutions.

How to Live Collectively in a World without Balance
Else Marie Pederson
The COVID-19 pandemic lends even more urgency and relevance to the Richmond
Vale Academy’s climate compliance program in St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

Community on Turtle Island
Paul Chiyokten Wagner
We will forever have a difficult time creating harmonious and peaceful
community in the human realm if we continue to believe that we are separate
from the community of nature.

The Resilience of Traditional Unintentional Communities
Colin Doyle
Traditional societies are inherently more ready for the disruptions of climate
change than intentional communities and others in tenuous industrialized
societies.
● Counterpoint

From Five Earths to One
Jan Spencer
Many people assume that we can make the current economy and our lifestyles
green and life will go on pretty much as we know it without too much
disruption. That is wishful thinking.

Ecological Sustainability in Community: Lessons from COVID-19
Graham Ellis
Ecovillages such as Bellyacres, through their own radical sustainable
experimentation, can and will be a huge source of guidance to rural and urban
communities as the future unfolds.

Crafting a Verdant Future
Shaelee Evans
Climate justice is bought with our time and dollars as we invest in practices
and products that are designed with earth stewardship in mind. Local food
systems show the way.

Rural Report: Community Inventory in Transition Times
Tomi Hazel and Megan Fehrman
The Dakubetede were right to call themselves “the people of the beautiful
valley.” Local organizing helps create resilience among southern Oregon’s
Little Applegate residents.

When Love Ignites a Creative-Waste Revolution
Rob Mies with Cara Judea Alhadeff, Ph.D.
A family creates a tiny home from a school bus, with minimum expenditure and
maximum repurposing, reuse, and eco-creativity, building community and
connection in the process.

One Step at a Time
Chuck Durrett
In cohousing neighborhoods, people want to do the right thing when presented
with questions about more sustainable alternatives one at a time, instead of
being guilt-tripped or talked down to.

A Community Approach to the Climate Crisis
Annik Trauzettel
The ZEGG community in Germany asks itself: amidst climate collapse, is it still
okay to sit around in circles and put time and energy into someone’s
relationship troubles?

In the Balance
See
In a world that’s beyond my control in so many ways, in an environment that is
starting to dry out, shift, destroy, and burn, what am I left with? What can I
do? So little...yet so much.

Rethinking Community: Bioregional Reinhabitation
Nat Taggart
“Deep adaptation” means an intentional collapse of the modern globalized
industrial economy, and its replacement by a breakaway economy that is globally
connected, yet rooted locally.

Centering Blackness in Our Soils and Our Souls to Promote Climate Justice
Melanie Rios
Biochar, terra preta, social justice and climate justice issues, the
unsheltered, Communities of Color, and a journey to dismantle racism all
intertwine.
● The Chronically Under-Touched Project

Ring of Fire
Daniel Greenberg
Like inevitable climate catastrophes, coronavirus has catalyzed a truly global
experience of our essential vulnerability and interdependence. The time has
come for us to join the global family.

Common Community Quirks
Amber Jones
Toilets, tubs, sinks, counters, floors, pantries, porches, and that place in
the yard where all things go to mold are all ticking time bombs. Quirks
precipitate guidelines for successful community living.

Subscription details
[here](https://www.gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI5Mjc5IiwiNmh0aG4weGEwZ2Nvc3dvb3drY29nc3NjYzB3ODhvMGMiLCIyNiIsImI0MjYyYTQ1MzVjOCIsZmFsc2Vd).

--
Chris Roth
Editor, Communities
[editor [at]
gen-us.net](https://www.gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI5Mjc5IiwiNmh0aG4weGEwZ2Nvc3dvb3drY29nc3NjYzB3ODhvMGMiLCIyNiIsImM3NWNjMjE5ZjhmZSIsZmFsc2Vd)
541-937-5221
[gen-us.net/communities](https://www.gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI5Mjc5IiwiNmh0aG4weGEwZ2Nvc3dvb3drY29nc3NjYzB3ODhvMGMiLCIyNiIsIjVlNDYwYTk4OWQ2NCIsZmFsc2Vd)

for Communities advertising,
please contact Gigi Wahba:
[ads [at]
gen-us.net](https://www.gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI5Mjc5IiwiNmh0aG4weGEwZ2Nvc3dvb3drY29nc3NjYzB3ODhvMGMiLCIyNiIsImZjMjJiMjljMzNlNiIsZmFsc2Vd)
415-991-0541

for photos and layout,
please contact Yulia Zarubina:
[layout [at]
gen-us.net](https://www.gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI5Mjc5IiwiNmh0aG4weGEwZ2Nvc3dvb3drY29nc3NjYzB3ODhvMGMiLCIyNiIsImIxYmI2ODQ0MzA3YiIsZmFsc2Vd)
910-617-6136

[Please send your article proposals to editor [at] gen-us.net. Thank
you!](https://www.gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI5Mjc5IiwiNmh0aG4weGEwZ2Nvc3dvb3drY29nc3NjYzB3ODhvMGMiLCIyNiIsImM3NWNjMjE5ZjhmZSIsZmFsc2Vd)

[Please check out our website
here.](https://www.gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI5Mjc5IiwiNmh0aG4weGEwZ2Nvc3dvb3drY29nc3NjYzB3ODhvMGMiLCIyNiIsImNhMzlkNDY5NTY5OSIsZmFsc2Vd)