Re: bullying behavior
From: Mac Thomson (macthomsonme.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 07:21:45 -0700 (PDT)
My 3 kids, who are now in their early 20’s, all grew up in cohousing. They are
amazing young adults, at least that’s what their proud papa thinks.  :-)

I believe that kids crave unconditional love and also structure. They want /
need parents to set reasonable boundaries so they can learn to get along with
other people (socialization). While I would encourage kids to work it out on
their own as much as possible, adult intervention is sometimes necessary,
especially in the case of physical aggression. I used timeouts for my kids when
they hit another kid or were in some way physically violent. They got 1 minute
of timeout for every year old they were. If they squawked during their timeout
or got up and tried to leave, the timeout started over again. The key to this
and and discipline is that it doesn’t become a personal battle. As a parent, I
have a role to play, which is to impart these universal socialization lessons —
it’s mix of compassion and stoic, dispassionate firmness.

My overarching philosophy of parenting was that kids are born making 0% of
their decisions and when they leave home at about 18, they will be making 100%
of their decisions. My job as a parent is to gradually give them ever
increasing freedom to make their own decisions and the skills and values to
make those decisions. That means trusting them a lot and letting them make
mistakes, which often turn out to be the best teachers. As young adults, my
kids now make all of their own decisions and are completely financially
independent from us, although they know that they will always have a loving
family to come home to no matter what.

A book I found incredibly useful: Taking Charge: A Parent and Teacher Guide to
Loving Discipline by Jo Anne Nordling

Of course in a cohousing setting, things can be tricky because of different
parenting styles. We were fortunate in that all the parents seemed to have
pretty similar philosophies. We got together once in a while to discuss
parenting styles and what sort of adult intervention was appropriate and
expected for the different families. These conversations were extremely
valuable. I don’t know what we would have done if there had been widely
differing parenting styles that were mutually unacceptable.

I live right next to the play structure so I often ended up intervening with
other people’s kids. My standard approach when I saw bullying was to go out and
engage the combatants in a dialogue. The one getting bullied would get the
first turn to talk. They got to tell their side of the story while the other
listened, focusing on what happened and how they felt about it. The other would
often try to interrupt to correct the story, but they would be told to wait
silently and not interrupt because they would get their turn. After each got
their turn, we would explore solution options. A timeout was a last resort.
This kind of mediated dialogue was generally fairly successful and I’d like to
think also taught kids conflict resolution skills that they’d be able to use in
the future without adult intervention.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy the journey of parenting as much as I have.

Cheers,
Mac

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
            - Will Rogers