Re: Drastic Downsizing for Village Hearth Cohousing in Durham, NC (Barbara Simkowski)
From: Dick Margulis (dickdmargulis.com)
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 05:48:08 -0700 (PDT)
On 6/21/2020 7:50 AM, Alan O'Hashi via Cohousing-L wrote:
Barbara - At my place, a third of the basement is taken up with storage space.
Forming communities should think about charging for excess storage to encourage
people to get rid of their stuff!

When we were in the early planning stages with our architect (who had never built cohousing but had designed other types of multifamily developments), he advocated strongly for NOT providing storage space. He said it was the universal experience that almost nothing ever came out of storage once it was put in, and the solution was to not provide space for it in the first place. Everyone we talked with in various cohousing communities that we visited nodded in agreement.