Re: Feedback requested: Accommodations for disabilities
From: Lisa Kuntz (lisa.kuntzgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2020 07:19:39 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks, Alan, I was hoping you would reply!

I always appreciate your responses.

Silver Sage has fewer accommodations and a more challenging set up than
Daybreak here in Portland.

I’m surprised that more accessibility wasn’t built into a community for seniors.

After meeting with Alicia DeLashmutt of “Our Home” in Portland, we were
introduced to some helpful, inclusive language in alignment with your question,
Why not just ask?

Nothing about me without me. When discussing accessibility, everyone should
have a place at the table.
Beyond the law and ADA requirements: How can we include everyone so that we are
able to enjoy being together in a variety of activities? Inclusiveness in coho
is about intention to be inclusive, not about making accommodations because
they are required ADA by law. Together, how can we help everyone be together in
as many ways as possible?

Later, I’ll add to the discussion by sharing some of the accommodations we have
made at Daybreak, a multigenerational community that was built in 2010.

Lisa Kuntz
Daybreak Cohousing
Portland, Oregon
https://www.daybreakcohousing.org/ <https://www.daybreakcohousing.org/>