Re: Feedback requested: Accommodations for disabilities
From: Lisa Kuntz (lisa.kuntzgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2020 07:46:10 -0700 (PDT)
“Visitable” is a new term that Alicia DeLashmutt introduced us to.

Your situation sounds heartbreaking, since your plans went awry.

Every one of our homes and common spaces is both accessible and visitable.

I am learning how fortunate our coho members are!

But we are asking ourselves, What more can we do to include those who use
mobility devices in outdoor spaces?

Thanks for your feedback, Liz.

Lisa Kuntz
Daybreak Cohousing
Portland Oregon
https://www.daybreakcohousing.org/ <https://www.daybreakcohousing.org/>

> [...]
>>
>> Nothing about me without me. When discussing accessibility, everyone should
>> have a place at the table.
>> Beyond the law and ADA requirements: How can we include everyone so that we
>> are able to enjoy being together in a variety of activities? Inclusiveness
>> in coho is about intention to be inclusive, not about making accommodations
>> because they are required ADA by law. Together, how can we help everyone be
>> together in as many ways as possible?
>>
>> Later, I’ll add to the discussion by sharing some of the accommodations we
>> have made at Daybreak, a multigenerational community that was built in 2010.
>>
>> Lisa Kuntz
>> Daybreak Cohousing
>> Portland, Oregon
>> https://www.daybreakcohousing.org/ <https://www.daybreakcohousing.org/>
>> <https://www.daybreakcohousing.org/ <https://www.daybreakcohousing.org/>>
>>

>>> On Jul 11, 2020, at 5:29 AM, Alan O'Hashi via Cohousing-L <cohousing-l [at]
>>> cohousing.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> In my view, accessibility and cohousing are inherently incompatible. Where
>>> I live in Boulder, Colorado is all people over 60. The place was designed
>>> with universal accessibility in mind but not total accessibility. Cohousing
>>> by definition isn't exactly convenient for old people like me. The idea is
>>> to design the flow so neighbors bump into each other. At my place, the
>>> parking is on the other side of the courtyard. The only ways to get there
>>> are trodding narrow sidewalks that wind around to the parking spaces and
>>> garages. Some garages are across the alley. During the winter,
>>> particularly, walking isn't exactly the safest, even after the snow
>>> shoveling contractor gets done.
>>>
>>> A person doesn't really know what it's like to be unable to get around in a
>>> wheel chair or walker, until having experienced that, which I did for
>>> several months when I was recovering from being really sick. I found that
>>> it was pretty much impossible to get into the common house on my own since
>>> the doors were manual, and had those threshold bumps to navigate. It was
>>> less of a hassle to wheel myself all the way around the perimeter to get to
>>> the front of the building than to enter the common house from the route
>>> closest to my back door. To get to the parking, wheel chairs have to travel
>>> over the circuitous sidewalks to the handicap parking spot. Why isn't there
>>> a straight shot to the handicap parking, in addition to the curvy sidewalks?
>>>
>>> When I became more ambulatory and got around in a walker, then a cane, the
>>> community has a long sidewalk connecting one end to the other, the end that
>>> had a short flight of steps, had no hand rails, but does now when my
>>> upstairs neighbor who was late 80s, God rest her soul, couldn't negotiate
>>> the steps. Why are steps there in the first place?
>>>
>>> My suggestion? Rather than guessing, ask a person who can't get around
>>> without wheel chair or can't see very well about the best/practical ways to

>>> www.getupoffthecouch.comCO: 303-910-5782 ....WY: 307-316-2113 ..NE:
>>> 402-327-1652 ....