Re: Feedback requested: Accommodations for disabilities
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 11:35:59 -0700 (PDT)
Accommodations for disabilities

There are many messages in the archives on this topic. The last time I remember
discussing this the term to search for on the web is “universal design.” There
are many websites, books, etc. that discuss what is dangerous, difficult,
obstructing, etc, for people at various ages — it is an issue for all ages and
all abilities.

Where I’ve come to on this is that every improvement in accessibility is useful
to someone at every age. When one of our residents on wheels put in an
automatically opening door on the Common House at this own expense, I thought
well, it is really for his convenience so I’m glad he is paying for it. Wrong!

The door quickly proved itself to be useful to everyone — caregivers pushing
strollers, people using carts to bring in groceries, with sprained or broken
limbs, UPS, bringing food to potlucks, carrying a child who is melting down,
and the just plain exhausted.

All the benefits to one group become a benefit to all.

When it snows, smooth inclined entries are much easier to shovel than stairs.
Children and other short people can work in the kitchen with lower counter tops.

Building cohousing is your opportunity to create a more workable environment,
as well as economical.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines