Re: Feedback requested: Accommodations for disabilities
From: Allison Tom (allisonrtomgmail.com)
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 11:48:25 -0700 (PDT)
Muriel,

Disabilities come in every shape and size, so accommodation needs to be as
diverse as disability is.

People may come to cohousing with hearing loss, vision loss, severe
allergies, episodic fatigue, mental health issues, children with a variety
of challenges (including gnarly adolescence), etc.  With some disabilities
the accommodation is structural, but with others the accommodation needs to
be social.

For example, I have a chronic vestibular (balance) disorder that makes me
chronically fatigued and nauseated.  I think it took COVID and everyone's
need to attend meetings by zoom for my forming community to really get the
barriers I face in attending far-flung, long, chaotic meetings.  It's
bittersweet to "suddenly" be able to participate in so many things I hadn't
been able to attend previously.

No accommodation will make a community accessible to every disabled person,
but listening to the issue we raise as barriers can make a huge difference.

Allison