Re: Experience with community sanitary systems?
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 08:00:15 -0700 (PDT)
On cohousing-L:
On 13 Jul 2020 Craig Herb (wakecohousinggmail.com)

>Wondering if anyone out there has had experience with community sanitary
>systems/micro sewer systems (some call them Small Community Wastewater
>Cluster Systems.)

On 15 Jul 2020 Bob Morrison (rhmorrisonaol.com) wrote

>  Here at Mosaic Commons, we have two cohos with 68 units total. We have a
>private septic system that uses the Bioclere process. It has mostly worked out
>OK. We can't put anything other than bodily waste and toilet paper down our
>toilets. For example, if we put strong cleaning compounds down our drains, they
>can kill the good bacteria that are essential to the septic process.
>  Private water and sewer systems are expensive, in both capital and operating
>costs. Municipal systems are less expensive per household due to economy of
>scale.
>
>Bob MorrisonMosaic Commons CohousingBerlin, MA

I found:
http://bioclere.co.uk/bioclere.php

Hundredfold Farm cohousing uses "Integrated Water Conservation Strategies"
as I recall to maong other things allow denser development.  See

http://hundredfoldfarm.org/building/water-conservation/

Former Coho-us president,  Bill Hartzell <wahartzell [at] gmail.com> ,
showed us and explained the system when we visited after the Durham
Conference.

Fred