Car and Vehicle Sharing Club
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 10:11:27 -0700 (PDT)
These are the notes I took on the presentation of Lancaster Cohousing on their
car sharing club. These emphasize the points that my community might be
interested in but I don’t think much was left out — with the exception of a
brief discussion of including people outside of the community.

Would others on the call correct anything I’ve messed up?

I also posted screenshots of the software a member designed for them here:

https://sustainablecohousing.org/screenshots-of-car-sharing-software-lancaster-cohousing-uk/

I attended the webinar by Lancaster Cohousing on their car sharing club last
week. I would like to share how theirs works in hopes that we can start one
here. There’s has been going I think 10 years so it is large but shows what can
be developed.

1. LEGALLY INDEPENDENT. Lancaster is set up as a club independently from the
cohousing Association. Various things would have been more expensive if it was
associated with an organization instead of just members. Members pay an annual
membership fee of ~$30 and then pay costs per mile + a cost per hour when using
a vehicle. These are adjusted often depending on actual costs—repair,
insurance, etc.

2. WORK IS PAID IN DRIVING CREDIT. They have one auto shop where they take the
vehicles for maintenance and repair. The members who do this get credit for
their time. They established a “wage” of ~$10-15 an hour and this is credited
to their account to offset driving charges. Everyone who works on required
tasks has the same arrangement—billing, website, city paperwork, etc. Checking
mileage.

3. VEHICLES ARE DONATED FOR DRIVING CREDIT. They have 25-30 members and 6 (?)
cars and bikes, electric bikes, adult trike, a cargo bike, and a mobility
scooter. The vehicles were initially donated and the owners given credit toward
driving hours.

4. PART OF A PLAN TO REDUCE CAR USE OVERALL. The car-sharing plan was developed
in conjunction with a larger plan to reduce the use of cars. They arranged for
onsite delivery of milk, fish, etc. for example.

5. USED THE CLUB TO REDUCE NUMBER OF PARKING SPACES. They have 39 units with 20
spaces. They reduced spaces required by having a percentage of units signing
pledges that promised using other means of transportation than owning a car.

6. EACH VEHICLE HAS DIFFERENT FEATURES. The reservations are made for specific
vehicles that have specific equipment — car seats, seats 7, electric, etc.,
roof racks, etc.

7. INCREDIBLE SOFTWARE. The call was prompted by questions on Cohousing-L
about how do you do this or that. Everyone wants to do it but can’t figure out
the details. Their software allows them to have a million possibilities. A
member wrote it 10 years ago. He doesn’t want to support it for other
communities to use but it’s open source so others can use it.  There were
people on the call who were interested in doing this. I’ll list some of the
possibilities that the software supports:

— COMMUNICATIONS. The schedule is on a website that is open and available to
all members. They can schedule a vehicle, put in a note about what they need
(CVS, etc.), make arrangement with each other to share rides or switch
vehicles, etc. The software enabled great flexibility.
— RANGE OF PERSONAL OPTIONS. When reservations are made members indicate
whether they want to be private, will share, will pick up items, etc. Flexible
time or not. Flexible about changing cars. Etc. Sometimes people arrange to go
with someone and come back with someone else. Can list destination or not.
— EXTEND RESERVATIONS. With the website people can check to see if anyone is
waiting for their car and extend reservations. Or contact the person about
switching cars, etc
— LIST NEEDS. People can list what they need like a lift to the train station,
pick up package at…, etc. Other drivers can then take on these errands.
— INDIVIDUAL RESERVATIONS FOR EACH VEHICLE — can reserve a specific vehicle for
a specific time. Thus you know you will have car seats, need gas, etc.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC