Re: interesting article about Greek community housing design
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 07:51:45 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jul 21, 2020, at 9:06 AM, Dick Margulis <dick [at] dmargulis.com> wrote:
>
> On 7/21/2020 8:57 AM, Sharon Villines via Cohousing-L wrote:
>> If by resilient performance you mean the mixing of residential and
>> commercial uses in one building, it is banned in cities here. Buildings are
>> either residential or commercial.
>
> Sharon, if by "here" you mean Virginia, that may be true. If you mean the US
> in general, it's not true everywhere. Many cities have zones where the first
> floor is commercial (often including the basement beneath the store) and
> upper floors are residential.

The excerpt given from the article seemed to say that there was vertical
integration as well. I think it is the norm that first floors are commercial,
even in the white glove buildings in Manhattan. It pays the bills plus long
term residents choose renters they patronize — doctors, dentists, etc. One had
a private dry cleaning and laundry service.

One of my ideal cohousing constructs for the downtown in cities, is a building
with commercial on the first floor, short term rentals on the second, and a
cohousing community on the upper floors. In DC especially there are lots of
interns and fellows who come for 3-12 months, or 2 years. It would be nice for
them to be able to participate as desired in a cohousing community. Even if
they didn’t participate, it would be a different ambiance than group
apartments, which is the norm. Everyone has a bed.

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines
http://sustainablecohousing.org
sustainablecohousing [at] groups.io
To subscribe:
sustainablecohousing+subscribe [at] groups.io