Re: Car and Vehicle Sharing Club
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 09:07:41 -0700 (PDT)
On Jul 19, 2020, at 4:45 PM, Fiona Frank <fionafrank [at] gmail.com> wrote:

> Miles is in fact happy to talk about how he could work with someone to
> develop his software for new settings and could come to a financial
> arrangement for this.

Thank you for clarifying this. I meant that he is not volunteering to provide
ongoing support or hosting to communities wishing to use the software as Mosaic
and Gather do. But very willing to work with others to develop the software and
alter it for their needs. The software seems very comprehensive so I can’t
imagine what else would be needed but Miles seemed convinced that other
communities would need changes.

Another question — I have been contemplating several reasons to reduce our
number of parking spaces. We were required to have one space per unit. We did
get a variance to have fewer full-size spaces since most (if not all) of our
residents have compact cars. If we were allowed 20 years later to reduce the
number of spaces because we had a car-sharing program, the question is how does
that affect unit prices?

We are near a Metro stop and several buses pass by. And we have several Zip
cars 1-2 blocks away. We have 43 spaces for 43 units but about 6 are empty and
either rented or used for guests. I think only one unit now has a second car —
In 2000, there were several and they were parked on the street.

But we have a great need for weather protected and secure bicycle parking. Even
if we had fewer because they were shared, we would need more accessible spaces.
We would still need to use parking spaces to build a parking shed for them.
(Bicycle advocates have trained me not to say “storage” for bikes. They are
“parked" like cars.)

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines
http://sustainablecohousing.org
sustainablecohousing [at] groups.io
To subscribe:
sustainablecohousing+subscribe [at] groups.io