Re: interesting article about Greek community housing design
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 06:54:48 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all — I’m not sure what Sharon was referring to when she wrote:

> If by resilient performance you mean the mixing of residential and commercial
> uses in one building, it is banned in cities here. Buildings are either
> residential or commercial. There are some areas where people operate
> businesses in their homes but inspection codes, etc., still enforce
> distinctions.

There is a very healthy development of mixed commercial/residential buildings
in DC, MD & VA.    In the 1970’s, DC did not have mixed use in the downtown
area of the city. Only commercial buildings specifically Federal buildings. At
5pm. downtown was a ghost down. You couldn’t get a glass of water or a sandwich
after 5pm.  W/ the advent of Home Rule (when DC got the right from Congress to
handle its own city affairs rather than Congress in charge) the Planning
Commission got religion, changed the zoning codes and the renaissance began.

Speaking of cohousing and mixed use, two of our units at the street end of
Takoma Village are zoned commercial.  Our bylaws restrict the use but they are
zoned for that.

Mixed use is one development strategy to reduce the cost of building housing.
The commercial part takes a larger burden of the project BUT while the upper
floors may sell as condos the commercial part is a gift that keeps on giving to
the entity that owns it.  Carnia Young in New Zealand is working on strategies
to have the residents of mixed use developments to share in the income from the
project.

Sharon - maybe you can expand on your reply.

Best —

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Member, Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

If we would learn what the human race really is at the bottom, we need only
observe it in election times.

Mark Twain

What will we observe before, during and after Nov. 3, 2020?  AZ