Re: Using Guest Rooms for other uses
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 10:44:10 -0700 (PDT)
> Kathryn McCamant <kmccamant [at] cohousing-solutions.com>
>
> A lot of communities talk about using their guest rooms for other uses
> when they are not in use (small meetings, clean crafts, work space,
> etc). I am wondering if any existing communities have experience with
> this working successfully?  My experience is that Guest Rooms don’t
> really work for much of anything else, so just checking in on the
> experience in other communities. Appreciate hearing your experiences.

The only activities that have been repeated — suggesting that any others were
not successful — have been temporary uses by individuals. Even before Covid
they were a quiet place to study, read, take a conference call, etc. And to
practice musical instruments. We have small desks in the rooms but lots of
people work sitting on their beds anyway. There are usually other spaces
available in the CH but the guest rooms are more reliably quiet — as long as
neither of them is in use.

Our rooms are closed as guest rooms now but individuals have still used them,
by arrangement, for the purposes above. The north wing has had construction
going on outside their windows, but this was true even before construction and
pre-Covid. A Play Station was once hidden under one of the beds to maintain
discipline at home.

But for regularly planned activities shared use would be a problem. Normally,
check out time is 5:00 and check in time is 6:00 (as I remember) so if the
rooms are in use, the belongings if not the people are likely to still be in
the room during the day. And the room would be locked.

Regularly scheduled group activity would at minimum increase friction. It would
mean too many scheduling conversations and misunderstandings. And conflicting
use of space. Crafts people usually need storage for supplies and a much larger
working surface than most guest rooms could accommodate. There is also the
issue with crafts of residual toxic odors or at best, obnoxious odors. Some
people have serious reactions to things others might not even smell. And
sleeping with odors is problematic for many.

Crafts people can also have lots of stuff spread around that is inconvenient to
put away sometimes. There would be pressure on guests from crafters who might
say “Well since you are only here overnight, is it okay if I leave this out?”
Of course it is, but what guest wants to say that?

When my kitchen was being redone, I reserved the guest rooms to store all my
kitchen stuff because they are right across from my unit. Others have reserved
them for similar purposes. Or when their HVAC was broken in August.

People also like having the rooms available for last minute reservations, so to
schedule them for conference break out rooms, for example, would be unwelcome
except rarely under special circumstances — like a crisis resolution emergency.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC