Re: Care Team
From: Grace Kim (graceschemataworkshop.com)
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 22:19:04 -0700 (PDT)
Responding to Charla Lowery:
Does any community have a care team where they reach out to community members
on a regular basis to see how they?re doing and to see if they need anything?
If so,?I would be interested to find out more about their team and if they have
anything in writing that they might share with us, Heartwood Commons in
Tulsa,?Oklahoma.
_______

Capitol Hill Urban Cohousing (CHUC) has been living together in the same
building for 4 years. And while we had a community life team, and ppl were
organically checking in during meals and other social events pre-covid; we
decided post-covid to be really intentional about this.

We don't have a committee per se.
When our "stay home" orders went into effect in WA state (early March), we were
meeting twice weekly via Zoom. After a couple of months we went to weekly, and
a month and half after that, we went to monthly (which was our normal cadence).
During the weekly meetings, we did 2-3 check-ins where we simply went in rounds
and discussed how we were feeling.
It was helpful/useful to understand the level of anxiety we were each
experiencing around Covid-19, job/financial situations, safety/security around
the building/neighborhood with occupied protests outside our doors. I should
note that there are only 9 households (17 adults) - all of us participate at
meetings, but that is only 17 ppl to do a full round - so its manageable to do
that 1-2 times within a 2-hour meeting.

We also started a "community support fund" during that time - a pot of money
that only the treasurer has knowledge of. Anonymous donations could be made to
the fund. And households could request money from the fund (no questions
asked). The intent was that if anyone was experiencing financial hardships,
that there was a safety net without questions asked. The treasurer is tasked
with reporting the balance of the fund on a regular basis so people knew
whether it needed replenishing, or if there was any funds that could be
requested.

I think it wouldn't hurt for a larger community to have a team/point person to
do this check-in on a regular basis.

Or you could go to a buddy system (pair up households) - so if someone is
experiencing a hardship that requires community support, but doesn't feel
comfortable asking directly, they could talk to their buddy household - who
could manage the ask/coordination of services for the family.  i.e., family has
a member who has extreme medical condition and needs support for meals and
rides to hospital. The buddy household could coordinate a list of volunteers
for rides and meals and check in with family regularly to report back to
community about additional requests or to give status updates.  This could
relieve the family needing support from a lot of unnecessary email/conversation
during this stressful time.

grace h. kim aia | schemata workshop, inc.
principal
pronouns: she/her

1720 12th avenue
seattle wa 98122
p 206.285.1589   c 206.795.2470
schemataworkshop.com

Watch my TED talk at TED.com

Please note: Schemata Workshop employees are currently working remotely given
the current public health situation.