Re: Division question
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2020 17:48:56 -0700 (PDT)
I think that if a majority of the community chooses to not "take
sides" but rather to evaluate each issue individually that will go a
long way toward creating separate communities. Those individuals need
also to decide that they won't "be against" the people who just can't
help but be on a "side".

The thing that happens over time is that people who seem to always be
on the wrong "side" turn out to have depth of personality that we all
didn't see in the early years. It's one of the things I love about
cohousing--unlike other groups where it is easy to leave--over time
you see strengths of the people you didn't like as much, and the
weaknesses of the people who seemed more like yourself.

So early on you want to create situations to see each other outside of
the decision making and gossip. Sit with different people at common
meals. Volunteer to work with different people on work days. Join a
team or circle that is different people then you usually hang out
with. NOTE this doesn't need (and shouldn't) be a *rule*, it is just
something that lots of people can do in order to break down potential
"sides".

Liz Magill
Mosaic Commons Cohousing, Berlin, MA
www.elizabethmaemagill.com