Re: Rural Cohousing Community on 4 Acres?
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 07:39:50 -0700 (PDT)
This is, in part, a zoning question--what does your zoning say is allowed?
And a water question--will you be on a town water supply or a well,
and how much water will the well produce?
And a septic question--does the land have a good perc? That is, does
stuff sit on the top or go down into the soil?
And also an affordability question--more houses cost less per house,
assuming you are selling the property to the LLC, and that the people
are buying a share of the property when they buy their home.

We have 67 acres and built on 12 I believe--two communities of 34
households each. We wanted open fields and also to leave a great deal
of the land wooded.

This is one of those questions that you want to have a developer
for--they know how to find all the professionals who find all those
answers and how to balance all those components into a sellable
community.

Liz Mosaic Commons Cohousing Berlin, MA
(Where we have argued whether we are "rural" as there are farm animals
in town, fields around us, but a mall only a mile away. I'm in the
"its not rural if it has a mall" camp.)