Re: Cohousing traffic studies
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 08:49:03 -0700 (PDT)
This is the kind of thing, actual traffic and parking counts,  that would be
fabulous to have documented by researchers so we have real viable statistics to
site.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

On 8/26/20, 8:24 AM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of Sharon Villines via
Cohousing-L" <cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at]
cohousing.org on behalf of cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

    > On Aug 25, 2020, at 2:15 PM, Midcoast Cohousing <midcoastcohousing [at]
gmail.com> wrote:

    > Does anyone have information on cohousing traffic volume — number of
trips per day, etc — compares with standard traffic models?

    (Somewhere in the archives is a message on Takoma Village’s history with
parking, which relates to trips. I can’t find my copy just now. Fiona posted
about the reduction in car trips with the use of a wonderful car sharing
software that allows them to share cars and request ride shares.)

    The situation depends on what is available in the area — buses, Metro, etc.
We are very close to the Metro in DC and a regional bus hub.

    After we moved in we found that people fairly quickly got rid of second
cars as they aged out. Within 5 (?) years of move-in, several households got
rid of their primary cars. This opened spaces for guest parking which we had
not planned for. We have several people who do not use cars for commuting who
loan their cars. We also have 5-6 short term rental cars within a block — worst
case 3 blocks.

    We share shopping trips or pick up items for other people. With the
internal email list, people post messages saying “I have a prescription waiting
at CVS — is anyone going there?” People will stop on their way home from work
to pick up milk, etc, for others.  Who is going to the Coop this weekend — I
need 3 items? Is anyone going to Costco?

    During the pandemic the requests to borrow food items instead of making a
trip to the grocery store and to pool trips have increased to reduce exposure
to the outside. This has reduced exposure for high risk people who have not had
to go out at all since February. The requests have become precise and unique: 2
teaspoons of cinnamon, 2 tablespoons of Creme de menthe, cream for my morning
coffee, Pepto Bismol. Heating pad.

    One person has also set up regular trips to a mail center that recycles
cardboard boxes, the coop, drug store, hardware store, and the grocery store.
He posts his trips on the email list and people either call in and pay for
their orders directly for him to pick up or send him a list before a deadline
he specifies. (Pre-covid, we had a small traffic jam in the local CVS with 3
people on the way home from work going in to pick up Diet Coke for me when I
was ill and desperate.)

    Cohousing allows for that kind of traffic reduction because we have an
internal communications system and we all know each other. Unless you have
lived in a neighborhood for many years, it is unlikely that you know your
neighbors well enough to do this except in extreme emergencies. And you
probably don’t have an email list for your block, which makes it easy to post a
message that will reach many people increasing the chances of a response.

    Cohousing makes all these things convenient, particularly in attached and
stacked units.

    Sharon
    ----
    Sharon Villines