Re: Cohousing traffic studies
From: R Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 12:48:59 -0700 (PDT)
Data is always good, Yes.  However, I think passenger car ownership and trip
generation are driven by the fundamentals of household demographics interacting
with urban versus suburban/rural locations.  Holding demography and location
constant, I would not expect passenger vehicle usage to vary much from
cohousing models to “regular” models.

Except for maybe …

Car sharing?

Informally, at Cornerstone, there’s a lot of impromptu car sharing, and also
some occasional effort at errand and trip consolidation.  Not clear, however,
that this has encouraged any of our two-car households to devolve to one.  We
have one member who intentionally ceased owning a personal vehicle, in the
belief that on those irregular occasions where she needs a car, friends at
Cornerstone will always loan her one.  In this, she has been correct.

Formally, I’m not aware of many, or any, cohousing communities that own and
maintain a communal car pool available to all members.  A communal car pool
could reduce on-site parking demands by a lot — but would not necessarily
reduce trips or mileage.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing