Re: Cohousing traffic studies
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 13:20:56 -0700 (PDT)
Philip said:

Holding demography and location constant, I would not expect passenger vehicle
usage to vary much from cohousing models to “regular” models.
-----------
I disagree. I think that cohousing in any location has much reduced trips for
1) taking kids to playdates, and 2) those quick trips to the grocery store. For
example, I would always just work my way down the walkway to find an onion
before I hopped in my car to go buy one.  And much more of our social life is
"on site."

I would be really great to get data comparing an existing cohousing community
to other multi-family housing in a similar location. Because we don't have good
data, we have to use the standard multi-family estimates for car trips. Senior
communities get extra credit...ie fewer car trips as a standard.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions