Re: Cohousing traffic studies
From: R Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 04:16:06 -0700 (PDT)
Katie —

I was hoping my points about informal car and trip sharing were consonant with
your “disagree” about shopping errands.  Your most interesting point is the
possibility that cohousing satisfies many of our social engagement needs that
would otherwise be cross-connected into the larger community, and generating
car trips accordingly.

But are we sure that’s a plus?  I guess any car trip negated is always a plus.
But some of us at Cornerstone wonder, sometimes, if we are too insular, too
isolated from our broader North Cambridge neighborhood, and our City affairs.
Should we speculate that the personal social networks of those who live in
cohousing are more introverted, or less diverse, than those promoted by
“regular” housing?  Intensive, rather than extensive?  Do we need to get out
more?  (An irrelevant question during the pandemic …)

Thanks,
RPD