Communities #190 Call for Articles: Faith in Community
From: Chris Roth - Communities Editor (editorgen-us.net)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 13:41:03 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Communities contributors and friends,

Communities magazine is now seeking articles for issue #190, "Faith in Community." The issue will be out in March 2021.

Please send your article ideas to editor [at] gen-us.net by Friday, September 25, 2020, or whenever you can.

We ask that your final article reach us by Friday, November 27, 2020.

1. Theme articles: Faith in Community

Please share your experiences, stories, and perspectives in response to any (or any combination) of the following questions:

• Do you have faith that community is an effective way to help address human needs, social ills, planetary problems?

• What experiences have led you to have more faith in community as an answer to these needs/problems, or caused you to question this faith?

• Has the pandemic made any difference in your attitudes toward community?

• Have you felt reassured, or disillusioned, about your choices related to community in the face of recent experiences?

• What is your “journey of faith” related to intentional community (or other forms of community)–one of increasing faith, decreasing faith, or both?

• Does your community share a faith tradition, or have you created your own? What is your approach to religion and/or spirituality?

• Does faith in a common greater reality or overarching spiritual essence or approach to life serve as a form of glue that binds your community together?

• Or are these areas matters of individual choice, and if so, how are they held? (Encouraged? Regarded neutrally? Discouraged?)

• What is the role of faith, spirituality, and/or religion in your community?

• Is community itself a spiritual practice for you or your group, quite apart from any external faith, spiritual tradition, or religion?

• Among the things that give meaning to your own life, or the life of your community, where does community itself rank? Is it something you “believe” in at more than a purely pragmatic level? (Or is pragmatism itself your “faith”?)

• How are faith and community, however you interpret those concepts, intertwined in your life and/or that of your group?

Please remember that we are looking for stories, personal experiences, and concrete examples in your responses—these are what will make ideas and observations most "real" and relevant to readers.

[Please forward this email to anyone you think has a good story on this theme for Communities.]

2. We are also seeking articles about:

• Creating community in your neighborhood;

• Starting a new community;

• Process and communication issues in community;

• Ecological sustainability in community;

• Social justice issues in community;

• Networking to build the communities/ecovillages movement; and

• Seeking community to join.

Suggested submission length is from 300 to 2500 words (although we sometimes stretch these limits). We invite submissions ranging from short vignettes to extensively-developed articles, and also invite suggestions of recommended resources and article leads. We're seeking articles written in a reader-friendly, popular-magazine style, rather than in an academic style. We ask contributors to share stories and experiences, not just ideas; write about challenges, not just successes; and describe specific situations that will help your story come alive for the reader. Before you start writing, please check gen-us.net/submissions-to-communities-magazine or contact us for our full Writers' Guidelines--and let us know your article idea so that we can give feedback on how it may fit into Communities. Contact Chris Roth at editor [at] gen-us.net.

If you don’t want to write an article but want to submit photos, please check gen-us.net/submissions-to-communities-magazine or contact Yulia Zarubina at layout [at] gen-us.net for our Photo Guidelines.

I. What "Submitting an Article" Means. We will promise to read your article, but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it, or save it and publish it in a future issue. We also reserve the right to edit, shorten, or revise your article. We always attempt to contact authors about this ahead of time and get their comments, corrections, etc.

II. Getting Permission Ahead of Time. Please send the article only when you have permission from anyone you need it from, such as fellow community members. We endeavor to present a diversity of views on community, including controversial or critical views, in a respectful and cooperative manner. If your article may generate controversy or strong reactions, or if the group(s) would want the chance to review it, please share your draft with group members to get their input before sending it to us. (Please see our Writers' Guidelines for additional details.)

III. Publication Rights. Once your article appears in Communities, we own first North American Publishing Rights. This means your article appears in Communities the first time it appears in North America. In addition to appearing in Communities, your article may also appear on our website or in future compilations. You retain all other rights to it. If you'd like to use it elsewhere, you can, and we would appreciate your using an attribution line saying, "This article first appeared in Communities: Life in Cooperative Culture, (date); for further information on Communities: gen-us.net/communities."

IV. Photos. If we publish your article, we want to accompany it with compelling images that illustrate your subject. You know your subject best, so we are appealing to you for images. If others in your community or group like taking pictures, they might already have great images to go with your article. If you would like to submit an article but cannot supply photos, that's fine; however, please give us plenty of advance notice so that if we use your article we can get an illustrator. Please check gen-us.net/submissions-to-communities-magazine or email us for our full Photo Guidelines. You may also choose to send us an author photo to accompany your short (several-line) author bio.

Thanks for your contributions!

Chris Roth
Editor, Communities

gen-us.net/communities