HOA Dues Structures
From: Mac Thomson (macthomsonmac.com)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2020 08:35:02 -0700 (PDT)
Our community (Heartwood Cohousing in rural SW Colorado), has an unusual HOA
dues structure. We collect 50% of our dues on a per household basis and 50% on
a per person basis. The purpose is to try to reflect that some costs are more
fixed in nature (e.g., replacing the common house roof) and some are more
variable in nature, meaning that costs go up as usage goes up (e.g., shampooing
the common house carpets).

After 20 years, we are reconsidering our dues structure and would like to know
what other dues structures are used by other communities.

Some of the structures that I think are currently used are:
Flat Rate: Each household pays the same monthly dues.
Square Footage: Each household pays in proportion to their home’s square
footage. My understanding is that this structure is more appropriate for condos
where the condo association is responsible for the maintenance of private
homes. Since all of our homes are privately maintained, this structure doesn’t
seem applicable to us.
Household Income: Each household pays in proportion to their household income.
We’ve discussed this option and dismissed it.

Are there any other dues structures used by any communities?

Thanks,
Mac

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that
awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use."
          - Emily Post